Friday, September 28, 2012

A Camping We Will Go

As promised, I am finally getting around to sharing all of the excitement of our first camping trip. I have to admit that when Adam said his company was having a "camping trip" to Morrow Mountain, I was a little concerned. I have a hard enough time being comfortable in my own bed - sleeping on a blow up mattress on the ground with no potty in sight was not exactly my idea of fun.

Then, I remembered all the fun I used to have camping. In Florence this was something I did all the time and I LOVED it. I wanted MC to grow up with those memories and to have an appreciation for nature and the outdoors as Adam and I do. I decided to take one for the team.

As most other things in our life, it wouldn't be a Martin outing if there weren't some complications. As a stay-at-home-mom, I find it my responsibility to do just about everything. Adam is at work all day - when is he supposed to do it? In this situation, that meant packing everything we needed for the trip: clothing, food, blankets, pillows, mattresses, flashlights, etc. It. was. exhausting. I am not even kidding. By the end of it all I was stressed to the max. MC was her usual energetic self and by the time I put one thing in the bag she had pulled it back out insisting she NEEDED to play with it. Yes MC, an icepack is completely crucial to your playtime activities....

Adam said he would be home by 1:00 to help me pack and to load the car. Love this man, but being timely isn't exactly his strong suit. By 2:00 I was beyond irritated and sent him a text - he said he was going to be late. Really? Hadn't figured that out yet. Thanks. He finally arrives around 3:45 and we spent the next hour and a half getting everything loaded in the car. Yes, that means we got on the road at 5:15. Then of course he shares we were supposed to bring potatoes. Stop at the grocery store. Then the all important gas station for a fill up and ice. Its now pushing 6:00 and we are just now leaving. Morrow Mountain is approximately 1 hour away but when we got on the highway and saw the after work traffic jam we knew we wouldn't make it there before 8:00.

By this point we were ALL irritated and cranky so we just decided to turn around, go home, and try again in the morning. Smart move for everyone involved. I don't think any of his coworkers would have been pleased to spend time with a tired and pissed off pregnant lady. Not the first impression I wanted to make.

The next morning we got up early, got going, and arrived to set up camp around 11:00. We had a FANTASTIC day. MC was in complete heaven and there were other kids there for her to play with which was great since she is a complete socialite like her daddy. (If no one is around she will literally talk to herself).

While making smores was one of the things I was most excited to introduce MC to, she was having NO part of it. She saw the marshmallows and it was over. I tried to explain the concept and showed her the ingredients but she screamed bloody murder insisting I not put the marshmallow in the fire. I obliged and just let her eat the marshmallows right from the bag.

I was a little concerned about how bedtime would go in this new environment, but MC had completely worn herself out that day. About 90 seconds after her sweet head hit the pillow she was out and mommy and daddy got to enjoy some great campfire conversation with Adam's coworkers. Here are a few pics from our adventures!

Great job on the tent daddy!!

"Can I get in now??"

Football with the boys :)

Running for the touchdown!

Yay MC!

Precious and beautiful little girl

In the lake looking for shells - as you can imagine, the dry clothes didn't last long!



Well worth the wet clothes to see that smiling face!!!

Checking out her "baby clam"

Looking for more shells with daddy

My main squeeze ;) Such a cutie

Carrying a soaking wet child back to camp because "its too hard to walk, daddy!!"

Playing with new friends

Duck... duck.... duck.....goose!

Flashlight - all time favorite toy

Helping daddy deflate the air mattress - also a perfect opportunity for bouncing MC super high!  ONE...

TWO.....

THREE!!!! Up goes MC!

"Do it again daddy!!!"

checking out her friend's tent

Having so much fun outdoors!

not enough hands!

Beautiful place! Can't wait to make it back!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts from friends